Thursday, August 9, 2012

What's with steak places offering heavy steak sauces but no Worcestershire?

    The Col. Reb family went to Rooster's Tuesday night for the steak special. It was a great deal, $15 for a ribeye, plus a trip to a pretty good salad bar, plus a baked potato. They got swamped with their first night of offering the special again and ran out of potatoes, so our potatoes ended up being undercooked and inedible, but our steaks were great.
    When I asked for some Worcestershire sauce, I was brought instead a very heavy barbecue sauce and after questioning this was told this was their only steak sauce. I don't find any "thick," heavy steak sauce good, and this was no exception. In fact, the barbecue flavor just has no place on a steak in my view.
    Of course, many people would say that Worcestershire shouldn't go on a steak, either. But it's a traditional condiment, and as steak sauces go it is a very light one. To me it adds the perfect blend of salt, spice and deliciousness to any steak. It's simply not in the same league with A-1 or Heinz 57, which are so heavy that they completely cover up the flavor of the steak.
    I hesitate to single out Rooster's. I've noticed a lot of places that will offer up heavy, overpowering steak sauces to their customers but fail to carry light, delicious Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce. I just don't understand.
    And while we're at it, why do those chefs who do have Worcestershire feel the need to make it from scratch and serve it in a little cup? It's not better than Lea & Perrins. Mr. Lea and Mr. Perrins have been making this stuff since 1838. There's no need to reinvent the wheel!
    I respect those who want nothing on their steaks but salt and pepper. Likewise, I respect the right of steak-eaters to slather their steak with heavy steak sauces. All I want is a couple of dashes of Lea & Perrins, and given the cost of steaks these day, I don't think that's too much to ask.
    I'm certainly not going to boycott Rooster's over the lack of Lea & Perrins. The steaks and too good and the Tuesday night special is too sweet. But from now on it will be B.Y.O.B. for me.

No comments: