Sunday, March 4, 2012

The cobbler has no shoes (or HHonors points)

    Late last year I reported on the Hilton HHonors First Quarter Promotion, simply entitled More Points. It offers a bonus of 1,000 HHonors points per night.
    I get an especial thrill out of earning the maximum amount of airline and hotel points and Jinny doesn't want to fool with it, so that makes me the official Pointmeister of the Col. Reb household. I thought I had signed her up for the Hilton special, I really did!
    Apparently I didn't. I didn't see any bonus points posting in her account so I went to the sign up screen and put her name in, and instead of telling me she was already signed up it thanked me for registering. I checked her email, and there was no sign of my having signed up back in early January.
    I did sign Jinny up for a Delta Airlines bonus that gives her 2,012 HHonors points for every two night stay if she chooses Delta as her Double-Dip partner. At present she has one 2,012-point award, but there may be another waiting in the wings that hasn't posted yet.
    But thanks to my malfeasance, misfeasance, nonfeasance or just plain stupidity, Jinny has missed out on roughly 12,000 HHonors points. That's 33-40 percent of a Paris-London-New York hotel room. Calculate the value of the room at $350, which is really on the low side, and my failure to get her signed up has cost our family $140 or more in quasi-luxury hotel value.
    What's done is done. In all honesty I remember signing her up; perhaps it was so soon the sign-up wasn't registering people properly. Learn from my mistake and treat good offers like voting. Sign up early and often.

No comments: