Thursday, April 4, 2013

Snackbar offers a beer and a half-dozen oysters for ten bucks

    I rarely eat oysters these days. They're just too expensive.
    Back when I turned 18 and could belly up to the New Orleans oyster bar for a beer and a dozen, my recollection is that a dozen oysters could be had for $3.50 or $4. Today the Acme Oyster House in New Orleans and most similar places sell a half-dozen for around $8.50 and a dozen for $13-14. In restaurants they often for $3 each, or an astronomical $36 per dozen.
    Today oysters have names. The waiter will inform the patrons that they have the sumpin-sumpin oyster, the this-n-that oyster, and the King Dan oyster. I belong in the "motor oil's motor oil" camp. Just sell me an oyster.
    I just found out about a great little Happy Hour deal that Oxford's Snackbar is offering: Half-a-dozen Gulf oysters plus a beer (or drink or wine) for ten bucks, every day from 4-6 p.m. Not sure if the beer is limited to one of Snackbar's $3.50 domestics or includes the $5 imports as well. I just don't see drinking mixed drinks or wine with oysters, but to each his own.
    So if you put a pencil to it, Snackbar's Happy Hour deal beats out the New Orleans prices by a couple of bucks. And it does so with the added cost of transporting the oysters 350 miles. Not too shabby in my book.

No comments: