Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Circa 1939 Holly High Tiger football team

     Pictured above are members of the 1939 or 1940 Holly High Tiger football team. Presumably the boys in the white uniforms are ninth-graders. This photo was from my Dad's office.
    On the front row, sixth from left is Shep Smith. Eighth from left is my father, Sidney Hurdle. On the second row, eighth from left is Blanton Jones.
   As always, click on the photo for a bigger copy. I will update this if I am provided with any more names.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would guess that this is the JV team. The players look very young and I stumbled on this post because I recently saw a picture of the 1938 team and they have different uniforms and are much larger and older.

Unknown said...

Could this be a JV team? I stumbled on this after I saw a picture of the 1938 team. They have different uniforms and they look much larger and older. Also, none of the players on the '38 team are in this photo.

Col. Reb Sez said...

Well, I thought it was the high school team. If JV, then it may have been taken before 1939. I think Shep Smith is three years younger than my dad, and so that's more or less how I guessed the year. But I was basing my guess on it being a high school team.