Saturday, October 15, 2011

Mammaw Moore's Chicken and Rice Casserole

    Here's another handwritten recipe, this one from my grandmother, Lessye Moore. It's for Chicken and Rice Casserole and has, among other things cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, cream of celery soup, and a stick and a half of butter. Makes my heart skip a beat just thinking about it!
    Rather than retype the recipe I'll just publish the handwritten version. Just click on it, and maybe click on it a second time to enlarge it.
    I'll cook this in the next few days and will report back on how it turns out!

ADDENDUM 10-18: I cooked this last night. Talk about SALTY! I do not recommend seasoning with the Lawry's or Season All. Use a seasoning for the chicken that has NO salt. Also, for your cans of soup, consider using one can of low-sodium soup.

I used almost a full soup can of water, and strongly suggest doing so. I also only used one stick of butter to pour over the top instead of a stick and a half. Also, it does need the full 1.5 hours cooking time, maybe a bit longer for the rice to get fully done. Next time I may cook it covered for the first 45 minutes to let the rice get steamed a bit more. Placing the chicken on top does let it get nice and brown, so I wouldn't want to have it covered for the whole cooking time.

No comments: