Friday, October 14, 2011

Sara Hurdle's dirty rice recipe

    We're having grilled chicken and dirty rice for supper.
    I'm using my mother's recipe for dirty rice, which doesn't include sausage, as some recipes do. It's easy to make and was always a favorite of mine. With that said, I don't believe I've had it in 10 or 15 years. I pulled out mother's cookbook, there it was, and I decided to have a taste of the past.
    It's really easy to make -- the only work is chopping an onion and some celery and then sauteing them in some butter. It doesn't take long. Here's the recipe, followed by a scan of mother's handwritten copy. There's a certain electricity about the handwriting of loved ones who have passed on, don't you think?

Dirty Rice Casserole

1 large onion, chopped
Some celery, chopped fine
1 stick oleo or butter
1 cup raw rice
1 can beef consomme (to this add enough water to make 2 cups of liquid)
1 small can mushrooms -- stems and pieces

Saute onion and celery in butter and add to remaining ingredients in a casserole dish. Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to one hour.

Dinner is in the oven even as I type, but my guess is that you could get by just fine with three-fourths of a stick of butter and a couple of extra tablespoons of water. Consult your cardiologist on this.

    Oh, and I'm labeling this "Sara Hurdle's" recipe. I'm sure she got it from somewhere else, but I remember it as hers and that's all that matters.

1 comment:

Col. Reb Sez said...

Had it for dinner last night and it was great. As I guessed, I think it would be just as good if not better with only three-fourths of a stick of butter and a couple of tablespoons of water.

Also, my kids said it was too "oniony." Next time I'll use a smaller onion. I'll also probably try adding one-third to one-half a bell pepper.

This might be good poured over four skinless chicken breast fillets.