Monday, June 2, 2014

I like and admire Thad Cochran, but my primary vote is going to be for conservative Chris McDaniel

    Three weeks ago I had pretty much made up my mind to vote to re-elect Thad Cochran in the Tuesday, June 3, Republican primary for U.S. Senate. I've now decided to vote for Chris McDaniel.
    I like and admire Thad Cochran; he has served our state well. But I've often been irritated on those thankfully rare occasions when he voted to support liberal causes. And as McDaniel has pointed out, I can't recall a single instance where Cochran has led the charge for conservative ideas or values.
    I was horrified when I heard the news that a McDaniel supporter had gained entrance to Rose Cochran's nursing home and had taken her photograph without permission. Yet Cochran's response has irritated me as well.
    The McDaniel campaign had apparently been aware for some weeks that some nut had taken things too far. The Cochran campaign criticized McDaniel for not calling the police. The only problem with this is that for several weeks Cochran was aware of the breach as well and he didn't bother calling the police, either. "Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle."
    Ultimately, my decision is based on my belief that McDaniel will be more likely to stand firm with Sen. Ted Cruz, Sen. Rand Paul, and other Senate leaders in finding new solutions to problems where our current efforts have failed. I simply have never heard of Cochran supporting out-of-the-box solutions to problems that simply are not going away.
    In the end, I'm happy with a victory by either candidate. Thad's a good man and has been an outstanding senator. If he prevails on Tuesday my only interest will be in helping him to be re-elected in the general election in November. Should Thad lose, his loss will bring me no joy.
    But as a voter I'm going to vote for the candidate whom I feel is most closely aligned with my views and those of a majority of Mississippians. I think that candidate is Chris McDaniel.
   
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may have helped with my decision....why can't they just follow through with what they say instead of fish - tailing ??