Monday, April 22, 2013

Voters tell Rep. Nunnelee 'right to keep and bear arms' is the issue they care most about

    Rep. Alan Nunnelee just sent me an email asking me to subscribe to his e-newsletter and to identify what national issue is most important to me.
    Naturally I chose illegal immigration. After I selected my choice I was allowed to see the choices others had made. And the winner is: "Protecting the 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms," coming in at a whopping 41.59 percent. Ten issues are listed; the next-highest vote-getter was "Ending out of control spending," with 13.27 percent. Also of note is that "Strengthening our armed forces" is rated most important by only 1.77 percent of respondents. Are Mississippians slowly drifting into the Rand Paul camp?
    (The above numbers are not static, and will change as each person signs up for the newsletter and casts a vote. So the above graph is merely a snapshot.)
    The list is certainly skewed towards Republicans, although anyone from either party who has made it onto Nunnelee's mailing list surely got the survey. And the responses go a long way towards understand why congressmen from rural states simply won't budge on gun control.
    I know Rep. Nunnelee is listening to the voters. But is Sen. Wicker?

No comments: