Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Major folk music conference coming to Memphis Feb. 22-26

    For those of you into folk music, a major folk music conference in Memphis next week is expected to draw more than 2,000.
    The 24th annual FOLK ALLIANCE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE will take place again in MEMPHIS FEBRUARY 22nd-26th, 2012. BOB LEFSETZ has been tapped as the keynote speaker. In addition, there are over 50 workshops, panel discussions and peer group meetings; 100+ industry exhibitors; a Lifetime Achievement Awards ceremony; and over 500 artist performances. (Can you tell I cut and pasted that paragraph?)
    It seems to me this is a pretty major conference and not that well publicized. How I found out about it is a bit of a story.
    A few weeks ago I heard a song by The Nadas on Pandora that I really liked. I'm not sure I've ever even heard of them. Any way, I typed their name in Google, and what do you know but they're playing the Memphis conference.
    Will I attend the conference? Probably not. But it's there for anyone looking for something to do. And who knows? Maybe you'll spot me!

1 comment:

NMissC said...

This conference is a huge event, and you are guaranteed if you go to hear amazing music under often ideal conditions-- e.g. serious traditional singers performing in small rooms, without amplification, to rapt audiences. Hundreds of concerts each night.

I've been 5 or 6 times; this is the last year it will be in Memphis (it is moving to another "home" for five years or so, apparently).

Unfortunately, unless you are involved in promoting music events (e.g. booking) or have done some writing that would get you on a panel (the two ways I've been in attendance), it's pretty expensive to attend. But worth it.

Work and the Natchez literary festival are keeping me away this year.